Get Access to the CCI Facility
The CCI welcomes beginners and experienced microscopy users, and adjusts the level of training to suit each person. Researchers from either universities or companies in Sweden and from abroad are equally welcome.
To use our services you first need to contact the CCI staff. Then we will arrange a meeting to discuss your project and how we can assist you in the best possible way.
Our contact e-mail address: email@example.com
How to become a user
1. First step: Contact us, preferably by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, to schedule a face-to-face meeting where we will discuss your project and schedule training(s). In this contact e-mail, please write a short project description.
2. Activate your CrossLab log-in credentials (if needed):
a) First you need to make sure that your Principal Investigator already has created his/her group in CrossLab. Contact us if you cannot find this information.
b) Download the Crosslab manual, which applies to you, and follow the instructions for getting a CrossLab account.
NOTE! The activation could take up to 24 hours, so do not leave this to the last minute.
3. Go to the CCI core page, log in and complete the “Registration form” under “request services”. This form has to be printed and signed by you and your supervisor. Bring the completed registration form to the first training, EM sample preparation, or any other service.
Rules at CCI
In order to provide convenient and reliable access to high-quality imaging for as many people as possible while protecting both the users and the instruments from the consequences of any misuse, all users must agree to the CCI rules and policies regarding use of the shared equipment.
When signing our registration form you agree to follow our rules. Here a summary of these rules are presented.
Please download and read the full version carefully!
- All first time users need to sign in to CrossLab, our core-management system for booking and billing etc. If your principal investigator is not already in CrossLab, he/she needs to register his/her lab first. Then the CCI registration form, which is found in CrossLab, has to be filled and signed by both you, as the user, and by your principal investigator. In addition, all research projects, using the advanced equipment at CCI facility, have to be registered in the National Microscopy Infrastructure (NMI) platform.
- You must have an introduction and training by the CCI team before getting access to the microscopes, without exceptions! Users cannot train new users, and untrained guests may not operate the instruments!
- Inform the CCI staff immediately if there are any problems with the equipment.
- Keep the equipment and the microscope rooms clean.
- Publications are of utmost importance for the CCI, since they prove the effective use of the equipment and are therefore prerequisite for the success of the CCI in evaluation processes and grant applications. Therefore, when you (or your colleagues/collaborators) use data that have been acquired, analysed or processed at the CCI for a publication, a conference contribution or for a grant application etc., you MUST acknowledge the CCI in the appropriate way and that we are part of the VR-supported National Microscopy Infrastructure! For example; “We acknowledge the Centre for Cellular Imaging at the University of Gothenburg and the National Microscopy Infrastructure, NMI (VR-RFI 2019-00217) for providing assistance in microscopy".
Each user is assigned to an access level according to their experience, hours of training and use of the equipment:
- First level: Assisted usage or during training, i.e. one of the CCI staff is present during the use of the system.
- Second level: Trained users, but with limited experience, i.e. who might need support and technical assistance. Access restricted to office hours.
- Third level: Experienced trained users. No access restrictions.
- Booking of the microscope in CrossLab before use is obligatory.
- The systems can be reserved up to 2 weeks in advance.
- The maximum length of a reservation is 4 hours and not more than 3 days during a week, unless you have requested additional time from the CCI staff.
- You (your principal investigator) will be charged for the maximum time of the booking and the real usage of the equipment. You will be charged for the time you have booked the equipment regardless if you use it or not.
- 24 hours cancellation notice is required to avoid charges.
- Outside working hours (08.00-17.00) and on weekends, only level 3 users are allowed in the facility.
- You are responsible for the system while you are booked. If you have made the last booking for the day, ensure that the system is switched of afterwards.
Prices for CCI service and equipment
Our main ambition is to ensure a positive result at the end of the day and that you get as much out as possible from the use of the facility. However, the University of Gothenburg has instructed the core facilities to be partially self-sustaining, which today means 50% of the total running costs for the facility. Therefore, a user fee is charged by the hour and vary for the different types of microscopes, due to different costs for purchasing, user support, service contracts and spare parts. The Academia fees are subventioned, while the Industry pay the full price of the running costs including VAT. Minimum technical support is always included in the user fee.
CCI uses the core management system CrossLab, which makes it easy for the principal investigators to track the bookings and cost of microscopes and consumables for their lab members.
Book our resources
The Centre for Cellular Imaging (CCI) is using a web-based tool, CrossLab, for all resource booking at CCI, registration, tracking of usage, service requests, user database, inventory management and reporting/billing. You can find the booking pages here:
Centre for Cellular Imaging CrossLab core page
After signing up and training you will get permission to book the microscopes. For more information and scheduling of training, please contact the CCI staff, preferably using email@example.com.
- It is not possible to book earlier than two weeks in advance.
- You are not allowed to cancel later than 24 hours before your booking.
- During office hours the maximum booking time is 4 hours, which should be booked as one session, while off-hours are unlimited.
For more detailed rules see the CCI User Rules! prices
If you have problems, or if you need to book the microscope during longer time than is allowed, please contact the CCI staff, preferably using firstname.lastname@example.org, for booking the microscopes.