Who needs to pay tuition fees in Sweden?
Students who are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees. However, there are some exceptions.
You are not required to pay application and tuition fees for the following reasons:
- You are a Swedish citizen
- You have citizenship in an EU or EEA country or Switzerland
- You have been granted a permanent Swedish residence permit
- You have been granted a temporary Swedish residence permit for reasons other than studies
- You are a family member of a citizen of an EU or EEA country and have a temporary or permanent right of residence in Sweden
- You are a family member of a citizen of Switzerland and have been granted a Swedish residence permit
- You are an exchange student
- You are a PhD student in Sweden
If you are exempt from paying fees, you still need to provide documentation verifying this.
Further information at universityadmissions.se
How much is the application fee and tuition fee?
Students who are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay a SEK 900 application fee when applying for courses or study programmes at universityadmissions.se.
The amount of the tuition fee will vary depending on the type of course or study programme. The first instalment is listed on each course or programme page. Use our Course and programme search to find the right amount. Please note that the tuition fee amount applicable to you depends on your year of entry.
How do I pay my tuition fee?
The approved means of payment are bank transfer or card payment.
After you have received the notification of selection results, an email will be sent to the email address listed in your user account at universityadmissions.se. This email contains information on how to proceed with the payment.
The University of Gothenburg encourage all admitted students paying tuition fees with debit- or credit cards. This applies to admitted students from all countries. The process of money transfer with card transactions is fast and effective, and make room for a more secure resident permit application as the process at the Swedish Migrations Agency cannot start until the tuition fee payment is registered at our account.
Please note! No administrative fee (SEK 9 000) will be charged for granted tuition fee refunds when the tuition fee payment was made with debit- or credit card.