Tuition fees terms and conditions
The administration of tuition fees at the University of Gothenburg is regulated by a number of terms and conditions. When you pay the tuition fee, you agree to follow these in accordance with the rules and regulations for tuition fees at the University of Gothenburg.
By paying the tuition fee to the University of Gothenburg, the student accepts the following terms and conditions;
Terms of payment
- The offer of admission is conditional until the first tuition fee instalment has been paid to the University of Gothenburg.
- The tuition fee must be paid in full before each study semester. It is not possible to split the tuition fee into smaller instalments. The only exceptions are if the student has been granted an approved leave from studies, if the student has been given credits from previous studies or if the student is to study a course at another university. If the student is to study an elective course at another university within their study programme, the tuition fee for that course must be paid directly to the other university.
- The last day to pay the tuition fee for the autumn semester is May 1st for newly admitted students and August 15th for enrolled students. The last day to pay the tuition fee before the spring semester is December 15th.
- Full-time study within a programme at the University of Gothenburg equals 30 ECTS per semester. If the student wants to study additional courses, these courses must be paid for separately.
- The student is responsible for paying the correct amount. If the paid amount exceeds the tuition fee for the study semester, the excess amount will be deducted from the tuition fee for the coming study semester. The University of Gothenburg cannot refund excess amounts.
- In case a fee-paying student does not pay the tuition fee, the student may neither register for the course(s) nor participate in lectures and seminars.
Terms of fee status
- A fee-paying student who consider oneself to meet any of the requirements for exemption of paying tuition fee, may request a re-assessment of the tuition fee status.
- The student is required to provide documents verifying the reason for the request.
- A change of tuition fee status cannot take place during an ongoing study semester. If a student changes the tuition fee status during a study semester, the new tuition fee status will be valid from the next study semester.
Terms of refund
- Reasons for granting a tuition fee refund includes if the student has been denied a residence permit for studies by the Swedish Migration Agency and did not participate in studies, or if the student refers to extraordinary circumstances beyond the student’s control that prevents participation in studies.
- It is only possible to receive a tuition fee refund for courses that the student has not been registered on. The only exception is if the student has made an early interruption of studies on the course (which means that the student has discontinued the studies within three weeks from the start of the course and has not obtained any credits).
- An individual assessment is always made whether full or partial refund of the tuition fee can be granted.
- An application has to be made by the student. The student must be able to provide documents verifying the reason for the request.
- The application for a tuition fee refund must be made within one year from the payment date of the tuition fee. Refund applications received after this time period will not be processed.
- The tuition fee refund can only be made to the same bank account from which the payment was originally made.
- If a tuition fee refund is granted, the University of Gothenburg will charge an administrative fee of SEK 9 000 if the tuition fee was paid via bank transfer. Amounts less than the administrative fee are non-refundable regardless of the payment method.
- The University of Gothenburg reserves the right to reject applications that do not meet the requirements. This also applies to cases where the student appears to have provided false information and/or documentation.
- The University of Gothenburg is obliged to report suspected money laundering to the Swedish police.
Apply for a refund
To apply for a tuition fee refund, you must make an official request to the tuition fee team via email@example.com. You must be able to provide documents verifying the reason for the request. You must also be able to prove that the refund is made to the same bank account from which the payment was originally made.
Please note that it is not possible to receive a tuition fee refund without first notifying the University of Gothenburg of cancellation or interruption of the programme.
If you invoke extraordinary circumstances as the reason for your request of a tuition fee refund, great importance will be attached to the documentation that verifies the reason for your request when your case is assessed.
The processing time for tuition fee refund cases is long and it can take up to 4 months before your case is completed. Please note that the application for a tuition fee refund must be made within one year from the payment date of the tuition fee.