The Center on Global Migration (CGM) aims to promote and support research, education and utilization of knowledge in global migration and integration. CGM aims to be a platform for migration research and a contact surface between researchers and actors in the private and public sectors, as well as civil society.
An important task for CSM is to promote interdisciplinary research collaborations within the University of Gothenburg as well as with other universities and to make visible migration - and integration related research condicted at the University of Gothenburg across different disciplines, including anthropology, medicine, psychology, political science, religious studies, history, education, law, economics and sociology. An active collaboration with society is also a priority and CGM currently works with several actors within the Västra Götaland region. To create contact areas and meeting places, CGM arranges seminars, workshops and conferences where external actors and researchers from different disciplines meet.
CGM started in 2017 and is administratively located at the Department of Global Studies at the University of Gothenburg. It is led by a director and a steering group with representatives from all faculties at the University of Gothenburg. CGM has two reference groups - one scientific and one external. The scientific reference group consists of migration researchers from different countries and disciplines and the external reference group consists of representatives from public administration, business and civil society.
CGM aims to:
1. Provide opportunities for dialogue and long-term collaboration between researchers, decision makers and external actors.
2. Organize international research conferences, workshops and seminars on migration and integration.
3. Organize opportunities for interaction with migrants in the Gothenburg region.
4. Formulate and produce new directions for research on common themes in relation to global migration.
5. Develop interdisciplinary research clusters.
6. Initiate, support and coordinate interdisciplinary applications to national and international research funds.
CGM is a member of IMISCOE, the largest European research network on migration, which among other things gives access to international networks and research collaborations.