The city of trade and merchants gets a business school
Industrialisation and the rapid development of trade during the second half of the 19th century brought about a need for better language skills, more advanced economics, and a more theoretically-oriented higher education. Therefore, in 1923, the City of Gothenburg, which was a centre for trade and merchants, got a business school. The famous polar explorer and geographer Otto Nordenskjöld was appointed as the first dean of the school. The first cohort consisted of eleven students who were taught economics, statistics, business administration, law, economic geography, and modern languages (English, French and German and soon thereafter Russian and Spanish).
During the 1920s, the operations gradually expanded, in step with the development of business. In 1925, the School moved into "Gamla Handels" on Läroverksgatan. This two-year programme cost SEK 200 per semester. In 1926, the Student Union HHGS was formed.
During this first decade, the School of Business, Economics and Law formed its identity: an offering of a wide breadth of subjects, internationalisation, cooperation with business and society, and a close connection between research and education.