No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
This course in Molecular microbiology gives you in-depth knowledge and better understanding of the evolution, cell biology, genetics and molecular biology of microorganisms.
Specific subject areas included in the course are:
- Organization of the bacterial cell, metabolism and growth
- Replication of DNA, variation, evolution and gene expression
- Regulation of gene expression
- Cellular differentiation in prokaryotes
- Molecular mechanisms for different cellular processes
- Molecular biology of yeast fungi, Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
After completing the course, you will be able to
- present scientific literature to others
- apply your background knowledge to new topics
- plan an experiment and analyse results of experiments
- write in the format of a scientific paper
- perform a number of standard lab techniques, such as growth curves and genetic analysis.
By taking this course, you are encouraged to actively participate in your education and therefore only a few lectures are held. In activities and seminars, you present and discuss important biological issues based on milestone research papers, reviews or other publications. The experimental work provides you with basic principles of microbiology and bacterial genetics. All students will work in small groups. Lab methods and results will be documented in lab reports.