Apply for MFA Programme in Film
This information concerns applications to the Master's programme in Film.
- Apply for the programme at www.universityadmissions.se
Application deadline: January 15
- Submit your portfolio through SlideRoom https://applyartsgu.slideroom.eu
Portfolio deadline: January 22
An application is not valid without a submitted portfolio.
Your portfolio to the MFA Programme in Film should include:
- LETTER OF INTENT – Express why you want to study at HDK-Valand and this specific programme, and how you think this can develop your work. Describe the objectives of your film practice and provide an example of enquiry that you wrestle with in your work. (Max 4000 characters).
- ARTIST STATEMENT – Describe your current artistic practice in the field of film and how it relates to the world in which we live. Similarly, what strategies do you apply to create a space where your work can meet an audience. (Max 4000 characters).
- CURRICULUM VITAE (CV) – Profile your education and qualifications, professional background, skills, filmography/productions, grants/awards etc. In addition, also describe your professional role in the work samples. (Max 1 page, pdf format).
- WORK SAMPLES, MEDIA – (Please note: Max 5 minutes in total). Your own film material. The material can be taken from a full movie, excerpts or standalone scenes / sequences. All material must be produced within the last two years and you should have had a decisive role in the production. It should be clearly stated in the credits what your professional role has been, otherwise you must describe it in your CV. It is important that the material clearly visualizes your approach and interest within your practice.
Assessment/Criteria of the portfolio
Emphasis is placed on the applicant's motivation and objectives for the education. The applicant's ability and interest in communicating and analyzing their own and others' artistic practice is of great importance – both independently and in groups.
Submit your portfolio
Submit your portfolio through our portfolio tool SlideRoom: https://applyartsgu.slideroom.eu
SlideRoom closes at midnight (CET) on the day of deadline. When you have submitted your portfolio in time, you receive a confirmation e-mail from SlideRoom.
Please note that it is not possible to submit your portfolio after the application deadline.
More information about SlideRoom here: About Slideroom
Application, selection & admission
Documentation of Bachelor’s degree and English 6
Submit all documentation on antagning.se/universityadmissions.se that shows you fulfill the entry requirement. It is important that you submit complete documentation and follow the country specific guidelines carefully. More information: Required documents .
If you submit incomplete documentation you will be considered unqualified.
Selection and admission
All complete applications are assessed by a jury consisting of the Programme Director and representatives from the department.
A number of applicants are selected for interviews. The interviews are held at HDK-Valand or conducted online. Notification on whether you are called for an interview or not will be sent to the email address that is registered on universityadmisssions.se.
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements can be granted exemption if the department judges that the applicant in other ways have demonstrated ability to benefit from programme. Ability to benefit from programme can be demonstrated by:
- other relevant education
- relevant work experience or other practical experience
- relevant artistic skills and abilities
- 16 October, 2020: Application round opens.
- 15 January, 2021: Last day to apply on www.universityadmissions.se.
- 22 January, 2021: Last day to submit your portfolio in SlideRoom.
- 1 February, 2021: Last day to submit the documents required to prove you are qualified on www.universityadmissions.se.
- 1 February 2021: Last day to pay the application fee or provide proof you are exempted from paying.
- February 2021: Invitations to interviews will be sent out. The invitation is sent to the e-mail address registered on universityadmissions.se.
- March 2021: Interviews are held. Dates will be published in January.
- February - March 2021: Your formal academic qualifications are assessed.
- 9 April 2021: Admission results are published on www.universityadmissions.se.