An introduction to the Swedish school and education system
On behalf of the National Agency for Education in Sweden (Skolverket), four universities offer this course for Ukrainian refugees with a teacher’s education, or experience of teaching and instruction at schools and early childhood education in Ukraine. The name of the course is "An introduction to the Swedish school and education system for educators from other countries."
More information about the course
The aim of the course is to provide the participants with basic knowledge of the organization of Swedish schools and early childhood education, and about the relationship between teachers and students/children in Sweden in a historical and contemporary perspective. Furthermore, the course aims to help the participants gain knowledge and understanding of the values of the Swedish school system in relation to basic democratic and human rights.
Based on the participants’ previous experiences, the course deals with didactic questions in relation to theories about learning processes, cognitive development and cultural diversity. Various forms of assessment and evaluation of learners are also studied.
After completing the course, participants should be able to work as, for example, teaching assistants in different school forms in Sweden.
About the course at the University of Gothenburg
Application to the University of Gothenburg
Course period: End of March to beginning of June
Teaching form: Campus
Pace of study: Half-time
Contact information: Johan Hellgren Asplund
Application deadline: 1 March 2023, application is now closed
In order to be admitted, the following requirements have to be met:
- Documented teaching training or documented pedagogical post-secondary education of at least two years of full-time studies or,
- Documented experience of teaching and instruction at schools and/or early childhood education and,
- English skills on a level which makes it possible to actively participate in discussions related to teaching and instruction and are able to read and understand different kinds of texts related to this topic.
The course is free of charge. Books and other teaching materials will be provided by the university. Travel expenses and other equipment needed for studies, such as a computer, is not covered by the university.
The course is available at Göteborgs universitet (University of Gothenburg), Högskolan Dalarna (Dalarna University College), Malmö universitet (Malmö University) and Stockholms universitet (Stockholm University). The teaching period and form (campus or online) will differ between the universities, but the contents will be the same.
- Download the application form below in pdf and fill it in (you cannot fill it in in a web browser). Remember to save it on your computer before you send it in. Email the application and the requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An email will be sent when and if you are admitted, from the university you are admitted to.
- Questions about the application can be sent to email@example.com. Questions about course contents and teaching form and so on should be directed to the University of Gothenburg.
Application to university of Gothenburg is now closed
You can still apply for the course at Malmö University where application deadline is 18 June 2023.