DIALANG – Diagnosis of language ability
After many years of broad collaborative work in the European arena, a uniformly designed diagnostic system has been created, covering all official EU languages as well as Norwegian, Icelandic and Irish. Skills are assessed using both traditional measurement instruments and self-evaluation data.
The diagnoses are available on the Internet, with immediate presentation of results directly after the test is taken. The whole diagnostic system and the outcome produced are tied to a well known European scale of levels - The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Using one of the features the system offers, subjects can compare their self-assessment of their skills with the results of the diagnosis based on the test. The Swedish material is produced by the Language and Literature Unit.
The mother project is still ongoing, tests are carried out in 14 European languages, out of which Swedish.
Coordinating institution (phase 1, 1997 - 1999)
Centre for Applied Language Studies
P.O. Box 35
FIN-40351 Jyväskylä, Finland
Coordinating institution (phase 2, 2000-...)
Freie Universität Berlin
D-14195 Berlin, TYskland
Swedish language representative
Barbro von Elek
Tibor von Elek
Council of Europe Language Policy Portal
- Oscarson, M. (1999). Review of R&D Work in the Area of Self-Assessment of Foreign Language Ability. University of Jyväskylä, Centre for Applied Language Studies, the DIALANG Project (Working Paper).
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (2001). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Council of Europe (2002). Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. Case Studies. Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing
- Council of Europe (2002). Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. Case Studies. Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing
- "DIALANG - A Diagnostic Language Assessment System for Adult Learners". Författare: A. Huhta, S. Luoma, M. Oscarson, K. Sajavaara, S. Takala & A. Teasdale. I Council of Europe, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. Case Studies. (2002) Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Alderson, J Charles (2005) Diagnosing Foreign Language Proficiency: The Interface between Learning and Assessment. Continuum
- Huhta, Ari (2009). Innovations in diagnostic assessment and feedback: An analysis of the usefulness of the DIALANG assessment system. University of Jyväskyla, Centre for Applied Language Studies. (Dr.avh.)