At the Institute of Medicine, doctoral degrees are available in subjects ranging from allergology and osteoporosis to diabetology. We have nearly 300 PhD students engaged in doctoral studies, focusing on preclinical and clinical research projects.
We offer a stimulating and internationally oriented research and study environent where you as a PhD student gets the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of a scientific field of study and of research methodology. Our post doctoral education also emphasizes the importance of improving your scientific approach, ie. your ability to critically review, present and discuss research results.
We offer a wide range of faculty PhD courses as well as the opportunity to apply for PhD courses at other Swedish universities.
Find PhD courses here
Grants and scholarships
For PhD students, there are many public and private foundations and donors to apply for. The Institute of Medicine also offers conference grants to promote international research collaboration and exchange of experience. Through the University of Gothenburg, you can can also apply for student exchange grants, as well as travel grants.
Read more about grants and scholarships here:
Our PhD student environment also includes:
- The Sahlgrenska Academy PhD Coach Network - an opportunity to receive personal coaching by a certified PhD coach and support in your professional development.
- Research and career seminars as well as the annual PhD Day, providing an opportunity to network. The events are organized by the Institute's Doctoral student committee. The Doctoral student committee at the Institute of Medicine strive to unite PhD students at the Institute and work for increased interactions and collaborations between PhD students.
- Introduction Day for PhD students
- A mentorship programme
- Career and Network Development Platform - a PhD/postdoc network organized by Sahlgrenska Academy
- English is spoken throughout the University of Gothenburg - something most of us here take for granted, but many of our international researchers appreciate!
Rights and obligations
In Sweden, PhD studies are securely governed by regulations. A doctoral education here is regulated through:
- The Swedish Higher Education Act (1992:1434);
- The Higher Education Ordinance (1993:100)
The admission process
At Sahlgrenska Academy, there are wo separate admission processes for doctoral students; you can either apply for a doctoral positions with the University of Gothenburg as the employer, or you can apply for a doctoral position financed by an employer.
Job portal - PhD positions with the University of Gothenburg as your employer
Information about PhD positions through other employers (information on the PhD portal)
introduktionsdag för nyantagna doktorander
Sahlgrenska akademin har skapat Career and Network Development Platform som genomför månadsvisa träffar. Det är ett öppet nätverk för doktorander och postdocs som vill lära sig mer om karriärvägar, både inom och utanför akademin