The course introduces students to advanced data analysis methods for so-called "BigData" in climate science, i.e. data with more than three dimensions, stored in many largefiles, typical of remote sensing or climate modelling. These methods are crucial forproject work at the bachelor's and master's levels, but also for applications needed in the job market.
The topics covered are:
- writing a clear algorithm
- using a program (such as Matlab or Python)
- download and load files regardless of their type and format
- creating IF- and FOR-loops to analyse multidimensional climate data
- applying signal processing methods to the climate data in order to examine their spatio-temporal variability
- effective debugging