Decision-making in forensic evaluations: Theory and practice
The aim of the project is to shed light on the decision-making process that clinicians use within the forensic psychiatric investigative activities of the Swedish Forensic Medicines Agency, thereby generating crucial knowledge to design an instrument which may be used as a support for decision-making in these complex assessments. The project is sectioned into five studies.
1. Literature study examining concept of severe mental disorder (SMD) from a cross-disciplinary standpoint.
2. Interview study where forensic evaluators their practical decisions regarding SMD.
3. Decision-making in complex evaluations vs. easier evaluations.
4. Experimental study following the Swedish evaluation process of SMD.
5. Testing functionality and usefulness of a decision-making aid for clinicians in both minor and major forensic psychiatric assessments.