NOMACULTURE was part of the research programme AquaAgri.
NOMACULTURE gathered experts in biology, technology, food science, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and economics in order to, using a transdisciplinary approach, rise to several of the key challenges involved in establishing a sustainable mariculture:
- to reduce dependence on fish oil and fish meal for aqua-feed
- to develop high quality larval feeds
- to minimize nutrient leakage to the ocean
- to promote a holistic approach to sustainable aquaculture also including the socio-economic aspect
- to provide knowledge-based information and education to the public and stakeholders
The NOMACULTURE consortium also included public and private stakeholders who supported the long-term goals to establish proof-of-principle aquaculture farms and business plans for a feed company. This ensured environmental and ecological sustainability of high-end products from marine aquaculture in harmony with the local communities.