Master of Fine Arts in Music with Specialisation in Improvisation and World Music Performance
The master’s programme in Music specializing in improvisation and world music provides a creative and innovative learning environment for you to pursue your ideas. As a student of the programme, you will join a group of diverse students, supporting each other as you develop your individual work.
Encouraging your individual ideas in a diverse group
A large part of your work throughout the programme will be based on your own project idea. You will work both independently and in groups and will formulate your thoughts in writing. There’s a high level of personal responsibility for your own development, and you should have a clear sense of ideas you want to develop throughout your work. The programme encourages cross-border meetings but also presupposes a clear immersion in the idea you have chosen for your independent project. Meeting with students with diverse backgrounds creates an inspirational environment for creativity and innovation. Openness, curiosity, and reflection are central concepts. In the seminars, ideas are tested in theory and practice together with your fellow students and with students from other master’s programmes and courses.
Preparing you for your future career
The different subjects help develop your written and oral tools with the overarching goal of meeting the requirements of professional life. The programme is international and offers excellent opportunities to network with musicians of different backgrounds. We also aim to prepare you for the role of freelance musician on the international level. You will also be prepared to pursue further studies at the postgraduate level in music focusing on musical performance, if you choose.
Programme structure and content
- Main Subject Master Improvisation/World Music 1, 15 HEC
- Independent Project (degree project) master 1, 7,5 HEC
- The Reflective Artist 1, 4,5 HEC
- Master's Seminar 1, 3 HEC
- Main Subject Master Improvisation/World Music 2, 15 HEC
- Independent Project (degree project) master 2, 7,5 HEC
- The Reflective Artist 2, 4,5 HEC
- Master's Seminar 2, 3 HEC
- Main Subject Master Improvisation/World Music 3, 15 HEC
- Independent Project (degree project) master 3, 7,5 HEC
- The Reflective Artist 3, 4,5 HEC
- Master's Seminar 3, 3 HEC
- Main Subject Master Improvisation/World Music 4, 15 HEC
- Independent Project (degree project) master 4, 7,5 HEC
- The Reflective Artist 4, 4,5 HEC
- Master's Seminar 4, 3 HEC