Master's Programme in Public Health Science
This education has a focus on sustainability. The teacher has created the course or program to fit into at least one of our 10 sustainability criteria. For you as a student, the sustainability label means guidance, quality assurance, and a guarantee that courses or programs contain a pronounced perspective on sustainability.
The programme is for those who are interested in health and public health. Our programme provides students with the skills you need to work strategically and practically with public health, both nationally and internationally. You will learn the individual and structural factors that impact health and what conditions ensure individuals have good health and health equality. After completing the programme, you will have a range of career opportunities and can continue on to doctoral studies. Welcome to apply!
Are you interested in health and improving public health? Do you want to make a difference and are driven by the idea of ensuring health equality? Then you should apply to the Master’s Programme in Public Health Science. Our students are trained to be able to work with public health, both nationally and internationally. We offer an international study environment where you will meet other students from around the world.
Why are there such large differences in health among different groups of people? What are the relevant factors that influence health and how can we improve the lives of people? These are some of the public health challenges we are facing. A wide-ranging and interdisciplinary perspective is needed to reduce difference between groups and achieve long-term and equitable improvements to public health. There is a need for trained public health scientists to study these issues and to formulate and evaluate public health efforts.
The Master’s Programme in Public Health Science teaches students the central theories and methods of the field. This two-year programme is taught in English. The goal of the programme is to give you the tools needed to be able to plan, conduct and evaluate public health work and to work to reduce systematic differences in health in the population.
You will also learn about epidemiology, social epidemiology, quantitative and qualitative research methods and health economics theories and methods. We offer both an introductory and advanced course in health economics.
Who can apply?
We encourage everyone to apply regardless of previous studies. Perhaps you have a background in health sciences, social sciences, natural sciences or the humanities? If you are looking for an interdisciplinary education, public health science is a subject for you.
What we offer:
- International environment – meet teachers and students from around the world
- Mix of academic backgrounds – study with doctors, teachers, lawyers and other professions
- Introductory and advanced course in health economics
- Options for longer internships
- Opportunities for study and internships abroad
- Centrally located campus close to restaurants and entertainment
- A stone’s throw from Slottsskogen Park, the Botanical Garden and other green areas
- Public health foundations and areas of application, 15 hec
- Health equality and the right to health, 7,5 hec
- Qualitative methods in public health, 7,5 hec
- Epidemiology and biostatistics, 15 hec
During the latter part of the second semester, you can choose between two courses:
- Health economics: foundations, areas of application and methodology, 15 hec
- Social epidemiology: theories, methods and practical implications, 15 hec
The entire third semester consists of optional courses. You can also choose to study or intern abroad.
- Advanced course in health economics evaluation, 15 hec
- Governing health equality: policy, interventions and evaluations, 15 hec
- Work and health: health promotion and disease prevention, 7,5 hec
- Migration and health in a social, demographic and political context, 7,5 hec
Our internship courses:
- Public health work: interventions, implementation and evaluation, 30 hec
- Public health work: intervention planning and evaluation, 15 hec
- Master’s thesis in public health science, 30 hec
For more information on courses, check out the programme overview
Programme structure and content
The Master’s Programme in Public Health Science focuses on student-centered learning. The students are expected to actively seek out knowledge, analyze and assess information outside of classroom activities. Most of our teaching and assessments emphasize academic discussion and critical thinking over memorization of facts.
Throughout your studies, you will have the opportunity to interact with public health professionals who will not only share their expertise but also encourage you to reflect on information and data. This synthesis of knowledge occurs both individually and collaboratively within diverse groups.
Our teaching combines lectures, group work, seminars, practical work and data analysis. You will be assessed in various ways, including written assessments and oral presentations both individually and in groups. Success will require that you are highly proficient in spoken and written English, as well the ability to actively participate in learning activities on-campus.
By choosing one of our elective internship courses, you will also gain insights into working as a public health professional and prepare yourself for a future career.
Who should apply?
- Are you interested in health and improving public health?
- Do you want to make a difference and are driven by the idea of ensuring health equality?
- Are you looking for a programme that gives you the skills you need to work nationally or internationally with public health?
Then you should apply to the Master’s Programme in Public Health Science at the University of Gothenburg.
Prerequisites and selection
Qualification for admission to the programme requires professional degree/Bachelor's degree of at least 180 credits in a health science, social science, science, economics, arts or engineering field of education and grade Passed/E in English B/English 6.
Special instructions for application
More information on how to apply for the Master's Programme in Public Health Science below, see link "More information about Special instructions for application".
Applications will be ranked by the Institute of Medicine based on an overall assessment from the specific CV form for this particular Master in Public Health Science programme. A verification of degree and English requirements must be submitted together with our CV form. Only the complete applications with our CV form will be evaluated.
Once you’ve completed your education, you will have a Master’s degree in Medical Science with public health as your main field of study. There are many career paths to choose from as a trained public health scientist. Examples include:
- Health and medical care policy
- Strategic public health work
- Collecting and structuring relevant health data
- Conducting investigations
- Formulating health-promoting policies
A Master’s degree in Public Health Science from the University of Gothenburg allows you to apply for jobs, both nationally and internationally. Potential employers include municipalities, county councils and regions, public authorities, non-governmental organisations and UN agencies working with public health, social issues and preventing diseases, both locally and globally. A Master’s degree is often a requirement to be able to work with such organisations as the UN, WHO and Sida.
You can also choose to continue your studies and research within public health science. You will be well prepared for doctoral studies after completing the Master’s Programme in Public Health Science. Many of our previous students have gone on to doctoral studies both in Gothenburg and at other universities.
Others work in fields ranging from medical engineering at Mölnlycke and health and medical care analysis at LOGEX to public health in the Swedish Public Dental Service.
Read more about our facilities at Campus Medicinareberget in the link below.
Students have excellent opportunities for studying abroad. In the third semester, you can choose to either study or intern in another country. You can also conduct your degree project abroad.
There are many alternatives to choose from for your study abroad. The Master’s Programme in Public Health Science has several partner universities. Previous students have studied in such countries as:
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom
Students on the Master’s Programme in Public Health Science have excellent opportunities for internships. During the third semester we offer two internship courses, either 10 or 20 weeks (15 credits or 30 credits). Take this opportunity to gain work experience by interning within the public or private sector, within an organisation or even abroad. It is your responsibility to arrange an internship that matches your interests.
These are some examples of where you can have internships:
- Research and Development (R&D), Region Västra Götaland
- Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
- Boston Scientific (global medical engineering company)
- Cochlear (world leader in hearing implants)
- Mahidol University in Bangkok
- Rajarata University in Sri Lanka