Design and Production of Biomolecules
Design and Production of Biomolecules is a course in biochemistry at the advanced level and provides the opportunity to increase your knowledge of proteins. The course will give you a deeper understanding of the whole process of protein production, from design to production and characterization. This understanding is important for biochemical research in both industry and academia.
The course includes
- design of the DNA-template
- description of different host organisms
- review of various purifications techniques
- orientation about different methods for the characterization of the protein structure and function.
The course is divided into three modules:
- A theoretical module with lectures and a final exam
- A practical laboratory module to illustrate different parts from the lecture series
- A project work and a final seminar.
The theoretical module will give you a deeper knowledge of the proteins that are involved in transport over the membrane and signal transduction. You will learn how you can produce and purify these proteins in larger quantities and how you can subsequently characterize their structure and function.
The practical laboratory module will provide deeper knowledge of methods for production, separation, purification and characterization of proteins. Laboratory classes and exercises will focus on protein design and production, electrophoresis, chromatography, spectroscopy as well as enzyme kinetics. You will perform the laboratory exercises in pairs and write laboratory reports.
A mandatory literature project and a seminar where you as students teach each other in different parts of the course will deepen your understanding of the whole process from protein design to characterization.