Department of Social
About Karin Barron
Areas of expertise/areas of research Karin Barron applies a gender perspective in her research. Some of the themes focused on, are the following: Possibilities for, and obstacles to, influence and autonomy for women and men with different impairments, professional views and approaches, social constructions of disability, gender, age/generation and identity, and ethical dilemmas in qualitative research on marginalised groups. Her research has also focused on, that which she refers to as, “power conscious social work”, and on conceptual analyses.
Current research project A study on disabled children’s socialisation, focusing on inclusion and exclusion, is in its final stage.
Completed research projects Interview study with persons with severe impairments, focusing on self-determination in everyday life (collaboration with Mårten Söder & Ingrid Nilsson)
Comparative study on the quality of life for persons with intellectual impairments in Japan, Sweden and Finland (collaborative project)
Gender and Identity. Feminist perspectives on the everyday lives of women with intellectual impairments
A study on participation, and identity constructions among young disabled men
Teaching and supervision Karin Barron has been teaching courses, and been supervisor, on different academic levels. She is presently supervising three doctoral students at the department of Sociology, Uppsala university, and one doctoral student at the department of Social work, Gothenburg university.
Publications in English Peer review articles
- Governmental Policy and Personal Experiences. The Development Towards Integration of Mobility Disabled Students into regular schools in Scandinavia, 1993. Dynamics. Acta Hispanica ad Medicinae Scientiarumque Historiam Illustrandam. Vol. 13, Granada. (Together with med Per Solvang & Bodil Ravneberg)
- Research and Ideology (debate), 1994. Disability & Society, Vo l. 9, No.1.
- Disability and Gender. Autonomy as an indication of adulthood, 1997. Doctoral thesis, Uppsala University. Följande avsnitt och tre artiklar ingår i avhandlingen:
- The transition from adolescence to adulthood for physically disabled young people, 1995. Centre for disability research at Uppsala University.
- The bumpy road to womanhood, in Disability & Society, Vol. 12, No. 2, April 1997.
- The importance of a gender perspective in educational research, in European journal of special needs education, Vol. 12, No. 2, June 1997.
- Ethics in qualitative research on marginalized groups, in Scandinavian Journal of Disability Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1999.
- Autonomy in Everyday Life, For Whom?, in Disability & Society, Vol. 16, No. 3, May 2001.
- Who am I? Women with learning difficulties (re)constructing their self-identity, in Scandinavian Journal of Disability Research, Vol. 4, No 1, 2002.
Anthologies and book chapters
- Womanhood and Intellectual Disability: Oppression under scrutiny, in Gender and Disability Research in the Nordic countries. K. Kristjansen & R. Traustadóttir (eds). Studentlitteratur, 2004.
- Genus och funktionshinder, i Genus och funktionshinder. K. Barron (red,). Studentlitteratur, 2004.
- Vem är jag? Utvecklingsstörda kvinnor (re)konstruerar sin identitet, i Genus och funktionshinder. K. Barron (red.). Studentlitteratur, 2004.
- ”De andra”-Magt, identitet och kön, i Over gransen-en antologi om vold mod kvinder med handicap. L. Bjerre (red.). Udviklings-og Formidlingscentret på Handicapområdet, Ringsted, 2004.
- I am and I am not: identity, a multifaceted concept and social phenomenon, I Resistance, Reflection and Change. Nordic disability research. A. Gutstavsson, J. Sandvin, R. Traustadóttir, J. Tössebro (eds). Studentlitteratur, 2005.
- Women with intellectual disabilities. Finding a place in the world. (Eds: Rannveig Traustadóttir & Kelley Johnson), in Scandinavian Journal of Disability Research, 2000, Vol. 2, No. 1.
- Break-up and change. When young people with mental retardation move away from home (in Scandinavian Journal of Disability Research, 2003, vol. 5, no 2).
Maktmedveten omsorg och socialt
Gunnarsson E. & Szebehely M. (red.) Genus i omsorgens vardag - 2017-01-01
Söder M. & Hugemark A. (red.) Bara funktionshindrad? Funktionshinder och intersektionalitet - 2016-01-01
Social Inclusion as a Theoretical Concept and a Social
R. Traustadóttir, B. Ytterhus, S. Snaefridur and B. Berg (eds). Childhood and Disability in the Nordic Countries. Being, Becoming, Belonging. - 2015-01-01
Men, masculinity, and community development in Kenyan