Apply for MFA Programme in Design
This information concerns application for autumn 2022.
Apply in three steps:
Apply for the programme at Universityadmissions.se
Deadline: January 17 2022
Submit documentation for your Bachelor’s degree and English 6 on Universityadmissions.se Deadline: 1 februari 2022.
Submit your portfolio through SlideRoom
Deadline: January 24 2022
Your application should be anonymous. Do not include name or contact details anywhere in this material. All texts must be in English.
- CURRICULUM VITAE (CV) – 1 pdf, maximum 2 pages
- LETTER OF INTENT – maximum 4000 characters. We ask you to address the question of why you wish to study at HDK-Valand and specifically the MFA Programme in Design.
- PROJECT REFLECTION - 1 pdf, maximum 2 pages. One key feature of our programme is the practical projects that students define themselves. From the start of your studies you are required to identify your personal interests and expected direction of your studies in design. In the project reflection, we ask you to write about an already realized or intended project that reflects your interests. Please feel free to use images or visualisations as references.
We will assess your ability to articulate your learning goals as well as your understanding of the field of design.
In the project reflection describe BRIEFLY:
- the subject area in design you have investigated or want to investigate
- what question(s) your project is concerned with
- the personal relevance of your project – refer to skills/experiential background and your continuing educational development
- the proposed approaches and methods
- an outline of the outcome of the project
- at least one reference to an inspirational source for your project (other designer’s work, art work, film, academic paper, etc.)
Note: The project reflection is only a part of the application procedure and does not have to be realized as a part of your studies at HDK-Valand.
- PORTFOLIO/WORK SAMPLES – 1 pdf, maximum 20 pages. You can also upload maximum two video files as part of your portfolio.
You are required to include images (or other relevant digital material) that demonstrate the
- breadth and depth of your creative work
- key stages of the design process to a realized intention
- personal direction of interest in design
- skills in presentation, visualization and communication
Your application must be anonymous. Do not include name or contact details anywhere in this material. All texts must be in English.
Assessment/Criteria of the portfolio
As a whole, we will assess:
- The Design Process – design knowledge, credibility, references, methodology and concepts.
- Breadth and Depth – contexts, skills, scales and experiences.
- Field of Interest – design questions, societal questions, skills and relevance to the MA program profile.
- Artistic Approach – expression, method and communication.
The portfolio is assessed as a part of the entry requirements and need to fulfil the assessment criteria to be considered approved.
Submit your portfolio
Submit your portfolio through our portfolio tool SlideRoom
SlideRoom closes at midnight (CET) on the day of deadline. When you have submitted your portfolio in time, you receive a confirmation e-mail from SlideRoom.
We recommend that you upload your material 24 hours before the deadline. Please note that it is not possible to submit your portfolio after the application deadline.
Application, selection & admission
Documentation of Bachelor’s degree and English 6
Submit all documentation on Universityadmissions.se that shows you fulfill the entry requirement. It is important that you submit complete documentation and follow the country specific guidelines carefully. More information: Required documents .
If you submit incomplete documentation you will be considered unqualified.
Selection and admission
All complete applications are assessed by a jury consisting of the Programme Director and representatives from the department.
Applications are assessed and considered approved or not approved. Applicants whose portfolio is considered not approved will become unqualified.
If you do not have a Bachelor’s degree in Designyou can be granted an exemption. HDK-Valand can grant exemption if an applicant in other ways have demonstrated ability to benefit from programme. Ability to benefit from programme can be demonstrated by:
other relevant education
relevant work experience or other practical experience
relevant artistic skills and abilities
18 October 2021: Application round opens
17 January 2022: Last day to apply on Universityadmissions.se
24 January 2022: Last day to submit your portfolio in SlideRoom
1 February 2022: Last day to submit documentation of BA Degree/English on Universityadmissions.se
1 February 2022: Last day to pay the application fee or provide proof you are exempted from paying.
7 April 2022: Admission results are published on www.universityadmissions.se