ResearcherDept of BioEnv –
About Eduardo Infantes
My research group at the Seagrass Ecology Lab is interested in bio-physical interactions that affect benthic ecosystems with key projects focusing on ecological feedbacks, tipping points, plant-sediment-flow interactions, coastal restoration and drone mapping.
- Biophysical interaction in aquatic system. We study interactions between fluid dynamics and aquatic organisms. Using hydrodynamics flumes at Kristineberg we expose organisms to wave and currents to quantify processes and mechanistic interactions. Model organisms include seagrass, seeds, larvae, fish, bivalves, macroalgae, microplastics, etc. We also look at processes in fluid mechanics, sediment dynamics, wave propagation and turbulence.
- Restoration of seagrass habitats. In Sweden 12,500 ha. of eelgrass has been lost due to overfishing and eutrophication. We are developing and implementing large-scale restoration methods by understanding ecosystem feedbacks and tipping points. We combine field, laboratory and model studies to get a deeper knowledge on ecosystem processes. We collaborate with environmental agencies and private companies to upscale activities.
- Cost-efficient techniques in ecology using drones. We are collecting drone data to study ecological processes that can be used for coastal management. Activities include changes of coastal habitats, marine mammals reproduction, management of mammal populations. Our study sites are located in Sweden, Mozambique and Thailand.
- 2020-2024. PI: E. Infantes. Marine vegetation as a natural barrier for coastal erosion. Funded by the Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS, 2019-01192).
- 2019-2020. PI: E. Infantes. Assessment of submerged vegetation to reduce coastal erosion. County administrative board of Sweden, Skåne (Länsstyrelsen, Dnr. 424-19286-19)
- 2017-2020. PI: E. Infantes. Cost-effective environmental management tools: Coastal monitoring using aerial and submersible drones. Financed by the Swedish Innovation Agency (VINNOVA, 2018-01745), Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management (HaV), County administrative board of Sweden, Västra Götaland (Länsstyrelsen, Dnr. 512-23393-2018).
- 2015-2020. PI: E. Infantes. Towards science-based coastal management: Tipping points for seagrass conservation and restoration. Funded by the Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS, 2014-735).
- 2017-2023. Co-applicant. On the sustainability and management of marine and coastal resources in Mozambique. Swedish international development cooperation agency (SIDA)
- 2014-2016. PI: P-O. Moksnes, Postdoc: E. Infantes. Development of management and restoration of eelgrass ecosystems. Funded by the Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management (HaV, 2283-14).
- 2012-2014. PI: P-O. Moksnes, Postdoc: E. Infantes. Coastal restoration of eelgrass ecosystems in Sweden. Financed by the Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS, 212-2011-758).
- 2007-2009. PI: J. Terrados Muñoz, PhD student: E. Infantes. Restoration and recovering techniques of the seagrass meadows using seeds and seedlings. Funded by the Minister of Science and Innovation (MICINN, 116/SGTB/2007/1.3).
- 2008-2009. PI: J. Terrados Muñoz, PhD student: E. Infantes. Biodegradable underwater structures seagrass meadow restoration using seeds and seedlings. Funded by the Minister of Science and Innovation (MICINN, CIT-310000-2008-9).
- 2005-2008. PI: J. Terrados Muñoz, PhD student: E. Infantes. Invasive marine macroalgae in the Balearic Islands: risk assessment and effects of benthic communities. Funded by the Minister of Science and education (MEC, CTM2005-01434/MAR).
Coastal ecosystem engineers and their impact on sediment dynamics: Eelgrass–bivalve interactions under wave
L. Meysick, Eduardo Infantes, Luca Rugiu, K. Gagnon, C. Boström
Limnology and Oceanography - 2022-01-01
Novel approach to large-scale monitoring of submerged aquatic vegetation: A nationwide example from
S. Huber, L. B. Hansen, L. T. Nielsen, M. L. Rasmussen, J. Solvsteen, J. Berglund, C. P. von Friesen, M. Danbolt, Mats Envall, Eduardo Infantes, Per-Olav Moksnes
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management - 2022-01-01
An automated work-flow for pinniped surveys: A new tool for monitoring population
Wind exposure and sediment type determine the resilience and response of seagrass meadows to climate
J. C. de Smit, M. S. B. Noor, Eduardo Infantes, T. J. Bouma
Limnology and Oceanography - 2022-01-01
Assessing Tolerance to the Hydrodynamic Exposure of Posidonia oceanica Seedlings Anchored to Rocky
A. Zenone, F. Badalamenti, A. Alagna, S. N. Gorb, Eduardo Infantes
Frontiers in Marine Science - 2022-01-01
Coastal restoration success via emergent trait-mimicry is context
T. van der Heide, R. J. M. Temmink, G. S. Fivash, T. J. Bouma, C. Boström, K. Didderen, N. Esteban, J. Gaeckle, K. Gagnon, Eduardo Infantes, J. van de Koppel, W. Lengkeek, R. Unsworth, M. J. A. Christianen
Biological Conservation - 2021-01-01
How Does Ocean Acidification Affect the Early Life History of Zostera marina? A Series of Experiments Find Parental Carryover Can Benefit Viability or
Making realistic wave climates in low-cost wave mesocosms: A new tool for experimental ecology and
Eduardo Infantes, J. C. de Smit, Elena Tamarit, T. J. Bouma
Limnology and Oceanography-Methods - 2021-01-01
Increased energy expenditure is an indirect effect of habitat structural complexity
I. Castejón-Silvo, J. Terrados, Thanh Nguyen, F. Jutfelt, Eduardo Infantes
Functional Ecology - 2021-01-01
Major impacts and societal costs of seagrass loss on sediment carbon and nitrogen
Microplastic retention by marine vegetated canopies: Simulations with seagrass meadows in a hydraulic
C. B. de los Santos, A. S. Krång, Eduardo Infantes
Environmental Pollution - 2021-01-01
Severe shifts of Zostera marina epifauna: Comparative study between 1997 and 2018 on the Swedish Skagerrak
Dugong (Dugong dugon) Reproductive Behaviour in Koh Libong, Thailand: Observations Using
Eduardo Infantes, Damboia Cossa, M. Stankovic, J. Panyawai, P. Tuntiprapas, C. Daochai, A. Prathep
Aquatic Mammals - 2020-01-01
The influence of hydrodynamic exposure on carbon storage and nutrient retention in eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) meadows on the Swedish Skagerrak
Mimicry of emergent traits amplifies coastal restoration
R. J. M. Temmink, M. J. A. Christianen, G. S. Fivash, C. Angelini, C. Bostrom, K. Didderen, S. M. Engel, N. Esteban, J. L. Gaeckle, K. Gagnon, L. L. Govers, Eduardo Infantes, M. M. van Katwijk, S. Kipson, L. P. M. Lamers, W. Lengkeek, B. R. Silliman, B. I. van Tussenbroek, R. K. F. Unsworth, S. M. Yaakub, T. J. Bouma, T. van der Heide
Nature Communications - 2020-01-01
High Seasonal Variability in Sediment Carbon Stocks of Cold-Temperate Seagrass
Role of eelgrass on bed-load transport and sediment resuspension under oscillatory
B. Marin-Diaz, T. J. Bouma, Eduardo Infantes
Limnology and Oceanography - 2020-01-01
The influence of hydrodynamics and ecosystem engineers on eelgrass seed
L. Meysick, Eduardo Infantes, C. Bostrom
PLoS ONE - 2019-01-01
Beach-cast as biofertiliser in the Baltic Sea region-potential limitations due to
D. Franzén, Eduardo Infantes, F. Gröndahl
Ocean and Coastal Management - 2019-01-01
Dispersal of seagrass propagules: interaction between hydrodynamics and substratum
L. Pereda-Briones, Eduardo Infantes, A. Orfila, F. Tomas, J. Terrados
Marine Ecology Progress Series - 2018-01-01
Increased current flow enhances the risk of organic carbon loss from Zostera marina sediments: Insights from a flume
Local Regime Shifts Prevent Natural Recovery and Restoration of Lost Eelgrass Beds Along the Swedish West
Water residence time controls the feedback between seagrass, sediment and light: Implications for
M. P. Adams, M. Ghisalberti, R. J. Lowe, D. P. Callaghan, M. E. Baird, Eduardo Infantes, K. R. O'Brien
Advances in Water Resources - 2018-01-01
Particle sources and transport in stratified Nordic coastal seas in the
Eelgrass seed harvesting: Flowering shoots development and restoration on the Swedish west
Seagrass blade motion under waves and its impact on wave
M. Luhar, Eduardo Infantes, H. Nepf
Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans - 2017-01-01
Seed predation by the shore crab Carcinus maenas: a positive feedback preventing recovery of eelgrass Zostera
Handbok för restaurering av ålgräs i Sverige -
Förvaltning och restaurering av ålgräs i Sverige - Ekologisk, juridisk och ekonomisk
Assessing methods for restoration of eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) in a cold temperate
Eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) restoration methods using seeds on the west coast of