In the study of protocols, we start with application level protocols enabling the student to start with more familiar paradigms in the context of applications that we use regularly. Moving to lower layers later in the course, we have the possibility to gradually uncover network services, their functionality and the ease/difficulty for achieving them.
Topics covered include:
- Networking applications and protocol; HTTP, SMTP and DNS.
- Transport protocols TCP, UDP.
- Content distribution systems.
- Performance and congestion control.
- Internet Protocol ITv4 and addressing.
- Internet routing, mobile IPTv4.
- Local area networks LANs, medium access protocols; MAC protocols (IEEE 802.X and others),
- Ethernet, switches and VLANs. Wireless LAN especially Wifi, Access Points, bridges and physical media.
- Detection and correction of bit errors.
- Multimedia applications and network security.