Hoppa till huvudinnehåll
Göteborgs universitet

FAQ Master's Programme in Social Work and Human

Frequently Asked Questions about the Master's Programme Social Work and Human Rights

What are the entry requirements to the programme?

A Bachelor Degree in Social Work or a closely related topic within Social Sciences. Proficiency in English proved by a valid test of English as a second language with at least the levels TOEFL 575 (paper-based), 232 (computer-based) or IELTS with minimum score of 6.5 (minimum 6.0 in all sections). The English test requirement does not apply to applicants who can document that they have English, level B from Swedish Upper Secondary School with a minimum of Passed mark, alternatively a Bachelor Degree (min. 3 years) from an English speaking education.

Examples of closely related subjects to Social Work are: Social Pedagogy, Social Care, Sociology, Social Psychology, Criminology, Human Rights etc. A degree with at least 90 ECTS in related subjects is required.

I have a Bachelor´s degree in Law. Am I considered qualified?

Unfortunately a BA in Law is not considered a related subject (to Social Work), so unless you have at least the equivalent of one and a half year's full-time study in Social Law, Family Law, Human Rights or International Law (or these combined) you will not be considered qualified. There are also some Law degrees with a special focus on Social Law/Social Work. We do accept those, even if the amount of credits would not be the equivalent of 90 ECTS.

We do look at the whole picture of your formal University degrees. With a master´s degree you can still obtain eligibility if you have the required 90 ECTS in a closely related subject. Some master´s degrees are only one-year masters (60 ECTS). In those cases, we need to find 30 ECTS in other related subjects within the Bachelor´s degree.

I have studied my whole Bachelor´s education in English. Do I still have to prove my English skills through a test?

No, there are several ways to prove your English skills. This is described in detail on the Universityadmissions site, here

What documents do I need to submit in universityadmissions? I do not find a complete list of required documents.

This is what you need to submit certified copies of:

  • BA degree in original language
  • BA degree in English
  • Official transcripts in original language
  • Official transcripts in English
  • Results from TOEFL, IELTS or other accepted English test

Also submit your passport, in order for the national admission to assess if you are to pay tuition fees. It does not need to be certified.

We recommend that you submit a personal statement, to present yourself to us with your experiences and your motivation for the programme. Keep it short, one page. It is not obligatory, but it will give us a picture of who you are and what you are looking for, with your studies.

I am studying my last semester on my Bachelor´s programme. Can I still apply, even though I do not have my degree yet?

Yes, you can apply to the Master´s Programme in Social Work and Human Rights before having your completed degree. Please, follow instructions on this page

If you get admitted, you need to upload your degree diploma/transcripts of records of your completed degree as soon as you receive it, in universityadmissions. Alternatively bring it to programme start and show the administrative staff.

How do you select applicants, among all eligible applicants?

We do prioritize applicants with a degree in Social Work or Human Rights, to other applicants with a closely related subject. If we have fewer applicants with a degree in Social Work or Human Rights than we have places, we accept applicants with a closely related Bachelor´s degree. There is no priority between them depending on the subject. The selection will be done through a lottery.

I have already paid the tuition fee, but my visa application was rejected. Can I get a refund of my tuition fee?

Yes, you need to apply for a refund of the tuition fee. Please, contact admissions at tuitionfees@gu.se for instructions on how to go about it.

Are there scholarships and grants available?

Yes. However, the scholarship process is managed separately from the university application. Most scholarships are managed by the Swedish Institute. More information here

What are the career possibilities after a degree of Master of Science in Social Work and Human Rights?

The programme aims at working within international organizations that deal with human rights issues but based on social work. Our graduates are spread all over the globe working with different things. Some we correspond with at times. There are a few working within the UN system or other large non-governmental international organizations, some work on local level in municipalities or on national levels in their home countries, dealing with these issues, some have gone on to doctoral studies and some work within regular social work.

Does this Masters programme count as a qualification in Social Work? Or is it just designed to be a course for previously qualified social workers? For instance, would I be able to apply for jobs as a qualified social worker with this Masters degree or do I need a previous Social work qualification?

In Sweden it is the Bachelor´s degree which gives you credentials to work as a social worker, and not the master´s level. The master´s degree is a specialization in a certain field. This may vary quite a lot between countries. This is the case for Sweden, but in other countries it may be possible to apply for a qualification on the basis of this master´s degree.

I am admitted to the programme, but cannot start my studies this autumn. Can I apply for a deferment?

If you want to apply for deferment in order to start your Master’s programme studies, you have to document the reasons for the deferment in detail. Please note that a permission to start studies later is only given in rare cases when the circumstances were out of control for the applicant.

Follow instructions here

For more information about deferment, please read at studera.nu