Technology for a Global Sustainable Society
The course aims to introduce basic knowledge in the field of sustainable development, as well as methods and tools for more sustainable ICT development and use.
The course also aims both to provide an understanding of the complex relationships that affect, from a life cycle perspective, the sustainability of the adaptation of products and services, and to reflect on the opportunities of a computer scientist to contribute, at different levels and areas, to a sustainable society.
The different parts of the course will provide knowledge and opportunities to practice the breaking down of complex sustainability aspects into manageable sub-problems that are within the areas a computer scientist can influence.
The course content is:
- Principles in sustainable development.
- The role of the computer scientist in a sustainable society.
- Formulating a sustainable development project on the basis of principles for sustainability.
- Historical perspectives on IT and sustainable development.
- Current situation analysis.
- Case studies of ongoing IT and sustainability projects.
- Life Cycle Analysis.
- The challenge of rebound effects.
- Methods for selection and execution of IT and sustainability projects.