Surface and Nanophysics
No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
This course is a concept oriented introduction to the field of surface physics and nanophysics with particular emphasis on static and dynamic properties, all from the atomic/molecular viewpoint.
We will focus on central unifying concepts and experimental techniques needed for understanding the properties of systems of interest. The symbiosis between experimental and theoretical approaches is emphasized.
We will cover the following topics:
- geometric and electronic properties of surfaces,
- scanning probes for microscopy, spectroscopy and manipulation of atomic size objects,
- adsorption phenomena and dynamic processes at surfaces,
- quantum dots and quantum wells and
- clusters, nantubes and small particles on surfaces.