No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
The course covers the basic principles of database systems as seen by users, application programmers and database administrators. A laboratory assignment develops these topics as a running example throughout the course. These include programming in SQL, as seen by a user querying or modifying an existing database, by a database designer, and by an application programmer invoking SQL from a host language.
Course contents include:
- entity-relationship modeling
- functional dependencies and normalisation
- database querying and manipulation through SQL
- interfacing to a database from a host language (such as Java/JDBC)
- overview of XML and other non-SQL models