An introduction to Game Research
Games have been a part of human culture since ancient times. They have evolved in to many different forms and serve many different target groups, not least since the introduction of computer games. This course provides an overview of games in all their forms as well as theoretical concepts and frameworks to analyze games.
The course is divided into five successive modules that consider different forms of games and different perspectives of gaming;
- Games as systems and general concepts to describe games and gaming.
- How players perceive and immerse themselves into games, play experience as a perceptual stance.
- Various media's impact on games and gaming.
- How the line between games and other activities can be erased by technology and game design.
- The use of games for other purposes than to entertain.
Practical experience of game analyzed is obtained by playing these games being part of the course work.