Cascade polycyclizations of dicarbonyl compounds
The postdoctoral scholarship is part of a research program aimed at the development of novel cascade polycyclizations. The research originates in the exploratory work on polycyclizations of keto esters that we recently developed in our lab: Polycyclizations of Ketoesters: Synthesis of Complex Tricycles with up to Five Stereogenic Centers from Available Starting Materials. The development of synthetic methodologies for the construction of complex polycycles is an important task as they could lead to development of biologically active molecules that can be used as tools in life science research.
We are looking for a candidate with extensive experience in the field of synthetic organic chemistry. The position is synthesis orientated. Thus, it is vital that you enjoy laboratory work. Furthermore, it is important that you have good experience with common purification and analytical techniques, and structural characterization of organic compounds. Techniques routinely used include 2D-NMR, gas chromatography (GC), chromatography liquid (LC) and mass spectrometry. You must be competent in these areas. Expertise in theoretical organic synthesis such as retrosynthesis, compound route design, is also desirable.
The successful candidate should be a highly motivated, quality conscious individual with a PhD in fields related to organic synthesis such as organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry. You should be capable of working both autonomously and collaboratively. As a postdoctoral researcher you will be expected to mentor students in the research group and take part in common activities such as group seminars and lab upkeep. The University of Gothenburg is an international environment, and therefore proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
The postdoctoral position is available from 1st of August 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is for one year with the possibility of a one year extension. Deadline for application is 30th of April.
The candidate will be working within the Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Gothenburg. The Department has all the necessary synthetic equipment and analytical tools to carry out the intended program. In addition, collaboration with Chalmers University of Technology ensures access to two research facilities, Chalmers Materials Analysis Laboratory and (CMAL) and Chalmers Mass Spectrometry Infrastructure (CMSI) that have state of the art collection of instrumentation and technical support that can assist the project.
The scholarship covers a period of 12+12 months.
Preliminary start date: 2021-08-01
Henrik Sundén, +46708924671, email@example.com
- To be eligible for a post-doc scholarship at the Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, the recipient must hold a PhD degree within a relevant field. The applicant must not have been employed at University of Gothenburg in the past two years.
- We are looking for a PhD with extensive experience in the field of synthetic organic chemistry. Additional selection criteria include experience from structural characterization of small organic molecules with NMR, analysis with GC, HPLC and IR. If you have experience with scientific writing in English this is beneficial and should be motioned in the personal letter.
Written application, including reference number in the subject field, is to be sent via e-mail to the supervisor and must include the following:
- Personal letter stating the reasons why the study suits the applicant (maximum one page)
- List of publications
- References (2)
Application deadline: 2021-04-30
Information regarding scholarships
- Scholarships do not give rise to sickness benefits, compensation from the Social Insurance Office Agency or retirement pension.
- The scholarship sum is paid out at two occasions.
- Scholarships are tax-exempt.
- A scholarship holder cannot be employed after the scholarship period due to tax reasons.