MALT1 as a key player in specific signalling pathways that control the development and proliferation of T and B cells. Dysfunction in these pathways leads to aberrant immune responses and uncontrollable cell growth, which are both implicated in (auto)immune disorders and aggressive lymphoma cancer. MALT1 acts as a major cysteine protease via its paracaspase domain that cleaves multiple substrates to promote lymphocyte proliferation and survival via the NF-κB signalling pathway. MALT1 is therefore a highly attractive drug target. Using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) we will study its functional unit consisting of the paracaspese and preceding Ilg domain. Purpose of the study is to achieve an in-depth understanding of the structural adaptions and inherent protein dynamics of MALT1. Thus, the project will include signal assignment of NMR spectra of MALT1 in apo and ligated forms followed by analysis of the protein dynamics over a broad range of time scales.
The scholarship covers a period of 1,5 months.
Preliminary start date: 2021-10-01
Professor Vladislav Orekhov, firstname.lastname@example.org, 031-786 3886
- The applicant must not have been employed at University of Gothenburg in the past two years.
- Please specify experiences, knowledge or interests necessary for taking part in this project. Remember that a scholarship is not an employment and the qualifications necessary might differ from what you could ask for from an employee.
- To be eligible for a student scholarship at the recipient must be enrolled in undergraduate studies within a relevant field. Documented knowledge/experience in biophysics and biomolecular NMR is of additional merits.
Written application, including reference number, is to be sent via e-mail to the supervisor and must include the following:
- Personal letter stating the reasons why the study suits the applicant (maximum one page)
- List of relevant courses in first and second cycle education
- Statement of previous practical experiences with regards to protein NMR measurements and analysis.
- References (1)
Application deadline: 2021-09-14
Information regarding scholarships
- Scholarships do not give rise to sickness benefits, compensation from the Social Insurance Office or retirement pension.
- Scholarships are tax-exempt
- A scholarship holder cannot be hired after the scholarship period due to tax reasons.