About Christian Giudice
I have held a PhD position in Religious Studies since September 2012, and my doctoral thesis seeks to investigate the complex relationship between Modernity and Occultism in early twentieth-century Italy, focusing on the figure of mathematician and occultist Arturo Reghini (1878-1946). While examining Reghini’s life in a chronological manner, the scope of each chapter will widen, in order to include discourses on major themes of modernity, such as Secularization, the Orientalist vogue, the crisis of the Catholic Church and the psychological effects of the Great War, to name but a few. Through the study of Arturo Reghini and his publications, whether in book form or in occult journals of the period, my aim is to shed more light on an under-researched period of Italian Occultism and contribute to the lively academic debate on Modernity’s influence on Occultism throughout the world.
- Modern Occultism in Italy and France (1850 ca. to 1930 ca.)
- The relationship between Occultism and Cinema
- The Traditionalist movement (Guénon, Evola, Schuon, Coomaraswamy)
- Aleister Crowley (1875-1947) and his influence on later occultists
I am Student Representative for ESSWE (European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism) and have been a member since 2009.
My previous academic credentials consist of an Honours BA Degree in Literae Humaniores (Classics) at Oxford University and a BA in Western esotericism at the EXESESO centre at Exeter University.
- 6/2013 (upcoming) 4th International ESSWE Conference, Göteborg, Sweden. "The Healing Game: Giuliano Kremmerz and the hermeneutics of therapeutic magic in the S.P.H.C.I. Confraternita Terapeutica e Magica di Myriam"
- 6/2013 (upcoming) 2013 CESNUR Conference, Falun, Sweden. "Twenty-First Century Templars: The Evolution of the Ordo Templi Orientis under Hymaeneus Beta (1985-)"
- 9/2012 EASR Conference, Stockholm, Sweden. "Pagan Rome was Rebuilt in a Play: Roggero Musmeci Ferrari Bravo and the Representation of Rumon"
- 9/2012 1st Cont-Eso Conference, Stockholm, Sweden. "Occupy and Occultism: The Horus/Maat Lodge, Astral Magic and the Emancipation of the 99%"
- 7/2011 3rd International ESSWE Conference, Szeged, Hungary. "The Angered Beast: Aleister Crowley, Thelema and the Cinema of Kenneth Anger"
- 5/2011 'An Evening with the Beast' Conference, Athens, Greece. "The Abbey of Thelema: History and Workings (1920-1923)"
- Giudice, Christian, "Martinism", in The Occult World, ed. by Christopher Partridge (London: Routledge, 2013)