Type of employment: Fixed-term employment, 2 years
Extent: 100 %
Location: Department of Cultural Sciences, Gothenburg
First day of employment: 2017-08-01 or as soon as possible
Reference number: PER 2016/134
The research project Spaces of resistance. A study of gender and sexualities in times of transformation started 2016 with support from Knut and Alice Wallenberg’s Foundation. The project explores the transnational struggle for women’s and LGBT-people’s rights in contemporary Scandinavia, Russia and Turkey. Bringing together multi-sited ethnography, netnography and comparative analysis, this project examines the ways in which the transnational struggles for women’s and sexual rights enable new collective identities and more complex understandings of gender and sexualities, beyond national and regional borders. The project is situated in feminist post-/decolonial and postsocialist theory. The research project is now inviting applications for a position as Postdoctor, appointed to conduct research within the project, individually as well as in collaboration with other members in the research team.
The Department of Cultural Sciences gathers several subject areas engaged in studying a variety of aesthetic and cultural forms of expression in a contemporary as well as historical perspective. All subject areas at the Department share an interest for examinations of aesthetic, communicative and meaning making aspects of the society and of human interaction. In Gender Studies, feminist scholars from diverse academic traditions meet across disciplinary borders to develop critical analyses of gender, power and resistance, situated in traditions of rich feminist scholarship such as feminist science and technology studies, feminist post-/decolonialism, feminist poststructuralism and feminist (new) materialism. Research on transnational and feminist social movements constitutes a vibrant space at the Department for scholars interested in developing knowledge about the shifts and complexities of gender and power in a globalized world. For further information about the Department, about Gender Studies or about the research project Spaces of resistance, please check the website of the Department: www.kultur.gu.se
The posted position primarily comprises research, individually and in collaboration with the research team members, within the project Spaces of resistance. The job assignments include, in collaboration with the research team, project planning, data collection, processing and analysis of the material, publications of results, and presentations of preliminary results and findings at conferences. The Postdoctor is also expected to actively participate in project workshops and in seminars at the Department, as well as cooperate with the surrounding community. In addition to research, the posted position will comprise teaching, student supervision or course development. The teaching assignments are limited to 20% of full time within the position.
To be eligible for the position, the applicant shall have a PhD in gender studies or a PhD with gender perspective in a closely related subject area. The position of Postdoctor aims at providing junior scholars an opportunity to strengthen and develop their scholarly proficiency. The applicant shall therefore have been awarded their PhD not more than 3 years prior to the deadline of the call for this position.
The qualifications for the posted position are stated in the University of Gothenburg Appointment procedures for teachers: http://medarbetarportalen.gu.se/digitalAssets/1457/1457517_appointments-procedure-for-teachers.pdf
The most important basis for assessment is the ability and potential in conducting qualified research, but teaching skills will also be taken into account. The applicant shall have experience from working with ethnographic fieldwork and have knowledge about feminist, post-/decolonial or postsocialist theory. In order to be able to carry out ethnographic fieldwork in Turkey, the applicant shall have good knowledge in the Turkish language and society. Applicants with knowledge about women’s and LGBT-movements, cisnormativity, trans- or intersex, historically or today, are particularly welcome to apply. Special attention will be given to documented qualifications within the following areas:
• Good knowledge in the Turkish language and society;
• Scholarly competence, which will be assessed in relation to the methods, theories and overall aim of the research project;
• Teaching expertise, demonstrated through experience of planning and execution of educational activities, supervision and/or examination;
• Collaborative ability, demonstrated through, for example, co-written publications, collaborative research projects and/or activities with the surrounding community;
• Qualifications regarding cooperation with the surrounding community;
• Very good knowledge in Swedish or English (speak and write)
Use the Instructions for Applicants published at the website of the Faculty of Arts, accessible via the link http://hum.gu.se/digitalAssets/1461/1461018_anv-ovriga-larare-sokande-eng.pdf
The application shall be written in English or Swedish. The following documents should be submitted with the application:
• A description of scholarly and pedagogical work
• A list of completed degrees and previous employments
• Qualifications portfolio I: Scholarly qualifications
• Qualifications portfolio II: Pedagogical qualifications
• Qualifications portfolio III: Qualifications related to managerial and administrative tasks
• Qualifications portfolio IV: Qualifications related to cooperation with the surrounding community
• Maximum 5 publications and academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered
The applicant should also submit:
• A copy of their doctoral degree
• A description of their previous experiences of relevance for the project, and of how their research can contribute to the research project
• Documentation of pedagogical qualifications (for example a certificate from the Head of the Department, or similar)
• Two references that could be contacted to provide a reference letter
In addition to expert assessment of the applications, the recruitment process will include interviews.
Register your application electronically via
Possible scholarly publications that are not accessible in digital form, should be sent by post to:
Department of Cultural Sciences
University of Gothenburg
405 30 Göteborg
Mark all documents with reference number PER 2016/134
Salary is determined on an individual basis.